Exam requirements for UK visa types

SELT exams for UK visa applications

Applicants may be required to take a 2-skills (Speaking & Listening) or 4-skills (Listening, Reading, Writing & Speaking) SELT exam. All LanguageCert SELT exams are delivered through our global network of SELT Centres.

The minimum Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level required varies depending on visa type. Applicants with a higher language level can take an exam above the minimum requirement as long as it assesses the same skills that also satisfy the visa application.

Visa requirement information is subject to change. Applicants should refer to UK Government guidance on English language exams for visas and are responsible for ensuring they take the correct exam. Applicants applying for Study in the UK visas are advised to contact their sponsors to confirm which CEFR level they require before registering for an exam.

Below is a table outlining the minimum CEFR level and skills required for each visa type.

Live in the UK
  • Family partner (spouse Visa)
  • Family parent

  • Family partner (Spouse Visa Extension)
  • Family parent

  • Settlement/Permanent Residency (ILR)
  • British Citizenship (Naturalisation)

Work in the UK
  • Representative of an Overseas Business visa
  • Sportsperson visa (T2)

  • Skilled Worker visa
  • Health and Care Worker visa

  • Minister of Religion visa (T2)
  • Innovator visa
  • Start-up visa

Study in the UK
  • Student visa — below degree level

  • Student visa — degree level and above